The St. Thomas More Oratory
The St. Thomas More Oratory is the home of Catholic Campus Ministry at the University of Delaware. We are a University Parish serving the students, faculty, staff and family members of the UD community. Catholic Campus Ministry has existed at the University of Delaware since 1958 as a registered student organization on campus, (first as the Newman Club, now Catholic Campus Ministry), through the ministry of diocesan and religious clergy as well as active student leadership. Without a dedicated Catholic Campus Ministry center or chapel, Mass was celebrated at various locations on or around the university campus until 1975. It was then that Monsignor Michael Szupper founded and helped build the St. Thomas More Oratory as a permanent home for Catholic ministry, worship, and fellowship on campus. After 42 years of ministry and service to the UD community, Msgr. Szupper retired in 2006 and was appointed chaplain emeritus. Upon his retirement the Dominican friars of the Province of St. Joseph assumed pastoral responsibilities of the Oratory through 2015. In the summer of 2015, these responsibilities were transferred to the Oblates of St. Francis DeSales. Today the Oratory continues to serve the University community through daily and weekend Masses, weekly students dinners and pancake brunches, service and prayer opportunities, student leadership and development, religious education programs, and simply providing a quiet place to study and hang out on campus.
image by Br. Mickey McGrath, OSFS